Sunday, July 8, 2007

Pink fuzzy vest syndrome.



When I was a teenager back in the early 80s, there was a time when vests were really "in". My mom was a great sewer and she made me several that I absolutely loved. Well, because I loved them so much, my mom decided to surprise me with a new one for Christmas one year. My mother had been secretly working on the vest while I was at school. Christmas morning came and I opened the package containing the vest. It was the most hideous thing I have ever seen. No, really, it was. It was made out of this thick pepto bismol pink fuzzy material. It wasn't even soft and snuggly material like a good teddy bear would be made of. It was long and unkempt kind of fuzzy, the kind of material you might expect a cheap teddy bear from the carnival to be made of. My mother was crestfallen. I wasn't rude about it, but she could read the horror on my face that I was not able to conceal at the site of such a thing.
Well, all I have to say is that karma does have its way with things. I found some yarn from Hobby Lobby that I thought was killer and was itching to make something with it. I decided to make a tank dress for my stepdaughter. I thought the colors would be good with her fair skin and blond hair. I showed her the yarn and told her about the proposed project. (I didn't want to spend hours on it for it to go unworn.) She seemed excited about it. So, in this last week, I have been knitting my little fingers off in order to get it done for her birthday yesterday. I even took it to the movies with me earlier in the week to get in some knit time. I stayed up until 1:30am in order to finish it. Her birthday came and she opened the package. Said nothing. I asked her to try it on because I had intentionally not woven in the edges so I could make any alterations that were necessary. She told me she didn't want to try it on. I told her that I wanted to see what alterations I needed to make. She firmly repeated to me that she was not in the mood to try it on.
Now, my husband's family all thought it was pretty, but maybe they were just being kind.
I figured I'll give it a few weeks and see if I can coerce her into modeling it for me.... maybe even wearing it! I figure if we go a few weeks and stepdaughter and dress never meet up, I'll find some happy home for it somewhere. Surely there is somebody out there who likes "pink fuzzy vests."

2 comments:

theyarnwhisperer said...

no, dear. I don't have dogma. I just got a karmatic blast from my past, I suppose.

theyarnwhisperer said...

no, dear. I don't have dogma. I just got a karmatic blast from my past, I suppose.